SIRCH is looking for 4 – 6 School’s Cool Instructors
School’s Cool is an exciting school readiness program developed by SIRCH Community Services and used by other organizations across Canada to increase the developmental skills of children ages 3 to 5 by an average of 54* weeks (*based on pre and post testing of over 5,000 children attending School’s Cool programs between 2008 and 2015)!
SIRCH, with funding support from the Trillium Lakelands District School Board, will be running 2 School’s Cool programs in Haliburton County this summer and requires 2 Lead Instructors, and 2-4 additional Instructors. Each program is expected to have 15 – 20 children. Teams of 2-3 Instructors (numbers dependent on enrollment) will deliver the School’s Cool curriculum, and evaluate each child’s progress through the use of materials and tools provided in the School’s Cool program. Instructors will provide positive role modeling, while encouraging each child’s natural curiosity for learning.
The Lead Instructor for each site (Archie Stouffer Elementary School and Stuart Baker Elementary School) will have overall responsibility to coordinate and support their School’s Cool staff team, liaise with parents, and ensure that all components of the program are adhered to.
• ECE, teaching, or child studies degree or diploma or related program (or enrolled in post-secondary degree/diploma program)
• ability to complete School’s Cool Instructor Training (2 days in June)
• demonstrated concern and empathy for young children and their families
• positive, enthusiastic, and encouraging
• experience teaching or working with preschool children
• able to manage a group of young and energetic children
• genuine interest in building collaboration with parents and the community
• capacity to work in a fast-paced and changing environment
• ability to commit to the entire program
• willingness to develop and extend professional skills working as part of a team
• current criminal reference check
• first aid/CPR an asset
• full attendance at School’s Cool Instructor Training
• become familiar with all course materials and outcome-based programming
• promote a positive and exciting learning atmosphere
• review each (of 24) session’s activities
• secure all related materials for the curriculum
• deliver and evaluate all daily activities and course materials
• establish and maintain accurate weekly records for all registered children
• conduct or participate in parent consultations and parent sessions
• setup and maintain a safe and secure course environment for children
• complete the Developmental Checklist for each child as per School’s Cool guidelines.
Instructors: 24 – 30 hours per week June 26 – August 23, 2017
Lead Instructors: 30-35 hours/week Monday to Friday. June 26 – August 24, 2017. Additional time in June may be required of Lead Instructors.
Send resume and cover letter, along with what position you are applying for, to: Gena Robertson, Executive Director, SIRCH Community Services, Box 687, Haliburton ON. Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org