Like SIRCH, you are concerned about your neighbours in Haliburton County.
You want to help those most affected by lay-offs, social distancing, self-quarantine and loss of financial security, but it’s risky to do practical things and you’re not sure where to start.
SIRCH has a simple way you can have an immediate impact on those who need help in Haliburton County during the COVID-19 crisis.
Up until now, SIRCH has been making 400 meals per month and distributing them free through food banks, Ontario Works and other organizations in Haliburton County.
Now with the coronavirus, the demand for healthy, prepared meals has drastically increased.
- Hundreds of people have suddenly been laid off
- One-third of our residents are seniors
- Haliburton already has a 23% child poverty rate
- We have the second highest cost of living in Ontario
- Many will not be eligible for EI or other benefits
Prepared meals are essential for those with disabilities, anxiety, lack of cooking skills or resources, and for those who are ill, homeless and elderly. The food banks will do their best, but for many families this may not meet the need in this increasingly urgent situation.
During the pandemic and until our community is back on its feet, our goal is to increase the number of prepared meals from 400 to 1,400 meals each month.
We can do it, but we need your help.
SIRCH has no base funding for this free food program – it relies on donations from individuals, organizations, churches and businesses.
It costs SIRCH about $4 to make one healthy meal. Each comes with heating instructions and a nutritional label. Some meals are suitable for diabetics or others with special diets. Local produce is used whenever possible and groceries are purchased locally.
Please help keep Haliburton County fed.
With your help, SIRCH can meet the COVID-19 challenge: $5,600 per month for 6 months is needed.
Donate what you can:
- Visa or MasterCard – give monthly or one-time. Call in with your card at 705-457-1742 or donate online at www.sirch.on.ca/donate
- Via e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org – send a separate email with your contact information (name, phone, address, postal code) so we can issue you a charitable tax receipt
- By cheque, which can be mailed to SIRCH Community Services, Box 687, Haliburton, ON K0M 1S0
We can get through this.
In the end, we will be a stronger community if we band together and look after each other.
Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being.”
~ Albert Schweitzer