Part-Time Position – Haliburton, Ontario
SIRCH Community Services is a charitable organization in Haliburton County with a focus on poverty reduction, food security and community connection. Known for innovation and ability to pivot, SIRCH has a variety of programs and social enterprises that contribute to community health. Two of SIRCH’s programs are Way to Grow CAPC (Community Action Program for Children) and Bumps & Babies CPNP (Canada Prenatal Nutrition Program). Those programs focus on expectant women, and women with children birth to 6 living in conditions of risk. One of the largest risk factors is poverty. Our philosophy, which underpins everything we do, is one of focusing on strengths and competencies. We believe that the unique viewpoints contributed by individuals are what makes us strong and vital. We look for options and solutions that help everyone grow and thrive.
Children’s Activity Aide for CAPC/CPNP
The CAPC/CPNP Children’s Activity Aide works to provide care and programming to children from birth to 6 years (primarily 2-4) while they and their parent/caregiver(s) attend any of the CAPC/CPNP parenting programs. Programming includes engaging in play-based activities that promote early learning and fun. Children’s programming occurs in a group setting. The Children’s Activity Aide is expected to ensure that all program areas are as safe as possible and to act as a good role model for children and their families. She must work within the guidelines, policies and mission of SIRCH Community Services and will be held accountable and responsible for all work assigned to them.
Reports to: CAPC/CPNP Coordinator (and to the Executive Director)
Responsibilities of the Children’s Activity Aide:
The Children’s Activity Aide will set up activities which assist the children attending the group to socialize, learn developmental skills appropriate to their ages, share with others and show kindness. During the group, the Activity Aide will be out with the parents and facilitators, modelling good parenting techniques and being available for questions and suggestions. During the guest speaker portion of the group, the Activity Aide will take older children (not babies) into a separate play area so the moms can attend to the information being provided by the facilitator/speaker. Serve as a good role model to the moms (ie: keep cell phone use for emergencies only, use positive language with the children; use or suggest appropriate consequences for behaviour).
– Set up the program areas, ensuring the area is as safe as possible
– Supervise and engage the children while their parent is attending to the speaker/facilitator
– Prepare and initiate crafts, games, and other activities for children
– Acknowledge the needs of individuals and groups within the program
– Debrief with the program facilitator(s) and team after each program session
– Meet and/or debrief with Coordinator as needed.
– Wear a mask and gloves when handling food
– Wash hands frequently according to COVID protocols and ensure any helpers follow the same guidelines
– Wipe down surfaces and toys with an approved sanitizer
– Reinforce mask wearing and hand washing as per Health Unit guidelines with age-appropriate children
– Clean up and sanitize the program area after the program has ended.
– Innately positive, open-minded, flexible
– Accepting, supportive
– Organized and on time
– Confidential, does not gossip
– Resonates with the vision and philosophy of SIRCH
SIRCH Community Services offers programs that enhance the development of the whole child. SIRCH Community Services believes that a comprehensive curriculum that challenges and fosters children’s abilities will promote trusting and respectful relationships that reduce the need for worker-directed behaviour guidance. All staff or volunteers working in direct care and contact with children are expected to consider and respect each child’s unique individual needs and rights. As such there are very strict policies and guidelines in place for all SIRCH staff and volunteers working with children.