In this sound-byte riddled world, day in and day out, most of us race from activity to activity in hopes of completing one task- only to begin another. Often we juggle or multi-task many activities at one time, in fact this is considered a virtue that we are encouraged to possess. According to my mother this serves as a form of distraction from the things that are truly important to living a good life. (wise-woman)
A sense of urgency has taken over our lives as the information age bombards us through screens and speakers, and because of this we have forgotten the simple art (and pleasure as far as I’m concerned) of living a conscientious life. According to Wikipedia conscientiousness can be defined as “Guided by or in accordance with the dictates of conscience; principled”. Please don’t let me accuse you of not being principled or lacking a conscience, my hope is that you take a moment to think a little deeper about living the life that we are all entitled to – traversing a journey of conscientiousness- making a difference.
We are all reasonably knowledgeable about slowing down, taking care, doing the best that we can in order to fully appreciate life, but I don’t think we do it enough (even though we are blessed to live, work and play in one of the most beautiful places on Earth). However, I don’t believe we fully ‘get it’ yet. So for those sound-byte driven individuals, and all of you taking a moment (bravo for slowing down!) to read through this article, here are five easy steps to consider when choosing to live life conscientiously;
- Delve into the giggle filled moments. According to my 13 & 10 year old sons (conscientiousness in progress) there simply aren’t enough times that we choose to make someone see the sunnier side of a situation. Make ‘em laugh to make a difference!
- Proclaim & Live out loud. If you think it, say it … we don’t say those wonderful, beautiful, delicious thoughts we think about others often enough. Let them know those kind thoughts and watch them shine!
- Eradicate the ‘no’ in others’ lives. When others see barriers to their happiness and/or success be the change agent in their lives by helping them conquer their perceived obstacle(s). Whether it be a re-framing of the issue or a supportive word or deed, help others to knock their barriers down so they can continue on their expedition of joy.
- Promote positivity … it’s all about attitude. Assist others to flip a situation from destructive thoughts of negativity to ones of awe-inspiring positivity. Be a role model for others by choosing your attitude every day. It’s contagious I promise!
- Squeeze Courtesy and kindness into your daily deeds. Never, ever underestimate the power of a smile or thoughtful gesture. It is the simple, conscious acts of kindness that can and do change the world.
A wasted day can never be reclaimed………Don’t just ‘get through’ your day, grab hold of it and lean into it a little. And always remember, “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”Gandhi
Submitted by: Nancy Brownsberger