Items volunteers can usually fix
Repair Café specialties* include fixing:
- Small appliances (toaster, blenders, lamps, etc.)
- Clothing, cloth, stuffed animals, etc.
- Furniture, wood toys/items, etc.
- Bicycles, tricycles
- Stereos, turntables, speakers, other electronics
- Book & Paper Repair
- Porcelain, pottery
If you know your repair will require replacement parts (e.g. bicycle tire tube, buttons, etc.) please bring the parts with you.
*Specialties at each Repair Café may differ as it is dependent on the volunteer Fixers attending that day.
Items that cannot be fixed at Repair Cafés
Items we cannot fix include:
- Broken zippers
- Gas-powered engines
- Items containing hazardous waste (gas, oil, chemicals, pesticides, etc.)
- Large furniture
- Large kitchen appliances
- Single serve coffee machines (i.e.: Keurig, Nespresso, etc.)
SIRCH Repair Café House Rules
- Visitors offering broken household items for repair do so at their own risk. Repairs are not guaranteed.
- Fixers will help visitors to learn the repair process on items brought in. To the extent possible, fixers will help visitors do the repair themselves, or fixer and visitor will conduct the repair together, or the fixer will demonstrate the repair process to the visitor.
- Work carried out in the SIRCH Repair Café is performed free of charge by individuals doing so entirely on a voluntary basis. A voluntary donation by visitors to SIRCH Repair Café is appreciated to help sustain the operation of SIRCH Repair Café.
- To reduce wait times, a fixer will work on only one item per visitor. Visitors will join the back of the queue for additional items to be fixed.
- In general, new replacement parts will not be provided by SIRCH Repair Café.
- Fixers are entitled to refuse to repair items. Visitors are responsible for cleaning their items.
- Visitors to the SIRCH Repair Café are solely responsible for their items at all times and for tidy removal of items brought in that could not be repaired.
- All Safety Procedures and our Code of Conduct must be followed.